Pages

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Black Bean Dip

Still on my mission to eat more veggies (and get my kids too also), fresh cut veggies and dips never seem to bore me. And while the veggies are easily interchangeable, I've been pretty content with hummus (and all its variations)-until I met this black bean dip. It is rich, creamy, delicious with a hint of smokiness plus all the goodness of black beans. High in folate for the brain, antioxidants and fiber, my 12 Best Foods cookbooks totes it as THE best legume because "eating them helps to lower cholesterol, LDL levels...& reduce cancer risk" and recommends 2 servings a day. This dip is so versatile, you can use it as a sandwich spread or thin it with water for a Mexican salad dressing. Make a double batch (if your blender can handle it) because chances are, most of 1 batch will be eaten with a spoon out of the blender before it even hits the table;)

Black Bean Dip from Eat to Live
1 can black beans (rinsed)
2T water
2T lemon juice (or juice of 1 medium lemon)
2T vegi-zest (I omit this)
2T Tahini
2t Bragg Aminos (or Tamari or low-sodium soy sauce)
1/2t cumin
1/2-1 clove garlic
dash cayenne & paprika (I leave this out for the boys)

Blend all ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth. Serve with carrots, broccoli, zucchini, cumcumber, romaine or steamed asparagus spears. Or thin a bit and mix with lentils and chopped tomatoes for a cold chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment