Pages

Saturday, September 13, 2014

What I learned from Brussel Sprouts

Brussel Sprouts are not very many people's favorite food. They certainly weren't mine. Growing up, on the few occasions my father was in charge of dinner, his go to meal was boiled hot dogs and brussel sprouts, of he which he was HUGE fan. Despite his enthusiasm, I couldn't bring myself to swallow them, even if it meant no dessert. They were bitter and soggy and I continued to steer clear of them for most of my adult life. Until, on a food/wine tour, I had some roasted with pancetta and onions.What a difference a cooking method made! They were tender not soggy and not a hint of bitterness (roasting brings out the sweetness of many veggies). So they made it off the "never try again" list, but I still didn't cook them on my own. And then I had the "burnt" brussel sprouts at Cucina Enoteca. They roast and char them in their pizza oven until they are literally black and bathe them in a spicy red sauce and they are better than french fries. Suddenly I find myself craving them so much that I was compelled to find a way to make them at home. I think if I had given up on them, I would have missed the zero to hero moment that brings me such culinary pleasure now. (I've since gone on to enjoy shaved brussel sprout salad.) Its important to share these moments with your children too; to let them know, that tastes change, your tongue grows up- never give up on a healthy food. My son has his own way of enjoying brussel sprouts (with peanut butter) that he discovered from reading Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. You never know when culinary genius may strike, the key is be open to trying it. That goes for cooks and diners alike. I often hear moms say, "oh I don't think my child will eat that" and that's the end of the discussion. I said those words once and almost had my oldest miss his gateway to salads moment (kale of all things).  You just never know. Lucky for me, he spoke up and said, "I'd like to try that." Of course also ready in his vocabulary is "I don't care for that" or "please never ever make that again". But that's empowering for him. And that's what we really want, right? Not a child that eats his veggies cause he's told to, but because he's fearless, adventurous and enjoys them. I hope to share some of my family's "successful" healthy whole food recipes with you- please share some of yours with me too!

"Burnt" Brussel Sprouts
Roast halved brussel sprouts tossed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper on a shallow baking dish at 400ºF for 15-20 min. You should be able to pierce them with a fork. Then move the rack to the broil position and broil for 5-10 min. Stirring to turn, once or twice, if you think you have burned them they need 3 more minutes;) Really! Let them get crispy and black. Meanwhile puree jarred roasted red peppers and a add a few drops of hot sauce to taste. Pour the sauce into a shallow bowl or plate and nestle the sprouts on top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment