Pages

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Errands are too much like Trick or Treating

from ICNS October 2013 newsletter...

Our flying rubber bats are hung. Pumpkins painted Angry Bird style. Costume dress rehearsals daily- we are ready for Halloween. But it surprised me the other day to find running errands was a lot like trick-or-treating. From samples at Costco, to the lollipop at the bank, & stickers at TJs...it seemed every where we went it was a barrage of sweets and treats. And I'll admit it made the errands easier to run, but it was a little lonely. How can you carry on a conversation with a sucker in your mouth, or get someone's attention when he's busy applying 20+stickers to your sweater? And don't get me started on the sugar high I had to contend with afterwards. Why do we feel the need to distract our children, instead of engage them, in order for them to behave? There are so many life lessons to be learned while running errands from socializing (prompting them to wish the cashier a nice day) to healthy habits (we are have one treat in the cart, another is too much) to actual math & language arts concepts (we need 3 pennies-help me count or does that say "organic":) All of this is missed if we just focus on our To Do list. Last year I read a book called French Kids Eat Everything and it offered a different perspective on snacks. Not only do French kids not snack, they never eat on the go, standing up or in the car. At the time the thought of piling the kids in the stroller without a yogurt or cereal bar was terrorizing to me. I used food as a life line to save me from incessant whining and fussing. But I could see the benefits of eating only around a table, a way to slow down, enjoy each other, enjoy the food. And once I broke myself of the habit, the kids quickly got on board & actually ate more of their meal (go figure!). So this month I encourage all of you to resist at least some of the handouts or bring them home and put them in a trick or treat bowl and save them for Oct. 31st. 

Pumpkin Hummus 
2T Tahini (or any nut butter)
2T lemon juice
1t cumin
1/2t ea. Salt & Pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
15oz canned pumpkin
Blend in food processor. Tastes divine on cherry tomatoes.

Pumpkin Pie Dip
1/2 c. pumpkin (canned)
2T maple syrup
2 wedges lite laughing cow cheese
1/2t ea cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice
Beat together. Dip apple slices in this and its close to a caramel apple taste.
Would also be great spread on bread or mixed into oatmeal! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment