Pages

Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Ritz(ish) Creamed Corn

Thanksgiving is definitely my Aunt's domain. She consistently puts out an amazing spread for an unthinkable amount of people. So I considered it a bit of a rite of passage when I was asked to make the creamed corn. She gave me an amazing and rich recipe full of cream, whole milk, butter, and even some sugar, so naturally I had to try my hand at cleaning it up. Any fruit/veggie recipe that calls for sugar is simply asking for the season's peak crop, so buy selectively and taste before sweetening. I use frozen baby sweet corn (yellow and white) and just a touch of honey. I sub in EVOO for the butter and instead of cream, I use evaporated milk.  Although this year, I will be trying a vegan version using coconut milk. The Parmesan on top is must, there is no substitute, but if you can't do cheese, I would suggest trying breadcrumbs or finely chopped walnuts.

2 packages frozen corn (approx. 20 oz)
8 oz. whole milk
1 can (12 oz) low fat evaporated milk
1 t. salt
3 T honey (or to taste)
dash of white pepper
2T EVOO
2T whole wheat flour
2T freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Combine all but last 3 ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a low boil. Simmer 5-10 minutes or until thickened. In a separate pan mix oil and flour over a low flame until smooth and no lumps. Add to corn mixture. Mix well over low heat until even more thickened. Pour contents into a heatproof baking dish. (It will continue to thicken as it sits). Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. Place in a broiler for a few minutes until the top is golden brown.

Note on transporting corn: If you are traveling with this dish, I suggest waiting to add cheese until you arrive, if possible. It has a tendency to slide around in the pan (at the least the way I drive) and the cheese can disappear. It only takes a few minutes to brown the top, but make sure your corn comes to the top of your pan so it can get nice and close to the heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment